Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Silly Little Man



This brings back some of my favorite memories of Christmas. This is not the original silly man, but one I had found a thrift store. He looks almost identical to the one I remember from my childhood. I actually have him sitting on my desk to look at while I work.

When I was around Dakota's age, I remember seeing him for the first time. My Nanny would put up a special wreath every year and this little man was perched up in the wreath along with the other decorations. I loved to look at him and my biggest desire was to hold him in my hands.
"Nanny, I want to hold that silly little man in my hands!" I would beg over and over and over. It was explained to me that he was glued onto the wreath and could not be released from his Christmas captivity. I cannot tell you how many years that went on. It became a Christmas tradition for me to beg and plead for this request.

I love this story because I know if Nanny had taken him off the wreath the first time I asked, the story would have been over. It would not have carried on from year to year. Doesn't God do this for us? If He gave us what we wanted every time we asked, our story would not continue on and on..... He loves to keep His story alive in us. The hardest part is realizing that it isn't about our desires but Him.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this story:) The original one was green wasn't it? My words don't express how I feel about the way you have with your analogies. They are great! What a treasure all of these are. Hope you get them printed some day. I also need to get Nanny's writings printed for you. Love Mom