Thursday, March 6, 2008

Dreaming



Tyler dreams of being a Nascar driver. That is what he thinks about everyday and all times. He spends a lot of his time concentrating and scheming how he can make it happen. Of course me being the mom, I give him the "stay in school and do well" and you can go to college and learn about cars in order to being the best driver he can be. And let's just say I have never heard a "Mom you are right, I will study hard" in return.
I love that he has a dream and I love that he is determined. To tell you the truth, I believe that he will accomplish what his heart longs for. I do know that it will take hard work and he is starting to realize that after a wake up call from his teacher regarding some bad grades.
Just like Tyler, I get my heart set on lofty goals and start to panic when I realize how much work it is going to take to enjoy the dream at a later time. I want results now, but know that waiting and working towards a dream will bring much more satisfaction than getting the desires of my heart without cost.
I have said this before, but I really do believe that is why Jesus came to us as a baby. It would of been so easy for him to appear as a man and die for our sins the next day. Instead God gave us a baby (his son in a helpless state) that would have to grow and mature physically to make a way for us to come to Him by his sacrifice. It took time and it cost Him his earthly life. For that I am thankful. What better example is there but Christ Himself?
God listens to the dreams of our heart and will do what is best for us in His time. His timing is the beautiful gift to us.
I don't think impatience is a new thing, I love the examples in the Bible that remind us that we are not alone in our hurried thinking:
Acts 1:6-8
"When they were together for the last time they asked, "Master, are you going to restore the kingdom to Israel now? Is this the time?"
He told them, "You don't get to know the time. Timing is the Father's business. What you'll get is the Holy Spirit. And when the Holy Spirit comes on you, you will be able to be my witnesses in Jerusalem, all over Judea and Samaria, even to the ends of the world."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,

I would love to spend time with Tyler and encourage him in his dream and how the Lord can be a part of that. Maybe he could spend time with us this summer.
Love Mom O.

Kendra Rickert said...

Hi Emily,

Your blog is such a beautiful devotional! I often come to just get an inspirational thought for my day! Thanks for the reminder today of working hard for a future dream!