Thursday, January 17, 2008

11 cents





I was on my way home tonight and I decided to stop at the grocery store near work. I like to stop at the Food Lion near my work because it is small and you get to know the same people working there day after day. Tonight there were several homeless people hanging out front. One man had his dog with him and looked to be homeless or pretty much destitute from appearance. I walked past him and went inside to get my few items.


When I got to the checkout, I put my items on the conveyor belt and waited to be checked out. Who do you think was behind me in the line? The man from outside. He plopped down his 12 pack of beer and waited for me to be checked out. My bill came to 9 dollars and 11 cents. I fumbled in my purse for the 11 cents to go along with my 20 dollar bill so that I wouldn't get any coins back. I couldn't find change in my purse at all (which is a first for me).


The man behind me piped up and said, " I have 11 cents for you." I thanked him but said, "that's okay". He looked disappointed that I didn't take his money. I assured him that I appreciated his gesture. He replied with a comment that he was happy to give because it always comes back to you when you do.


I am amazed how encouragement can come in the strangest ways. There are people that we might not want to give a second look because of their outward appearance or their strange behavior. God speaks through so many avenues that we cannot comprehend how they are able to touch our lives. I love the fact that we should always have our eyes, ears and hearts open to receive encouragement, wisdom, and blessings from anywhere, anyone, and at anytime!


Hebrews 13:1-3


" Keep on loving each other as brothers and sisters. Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it! Remember those in prison, as if you were there yourself. Remember also those being mistreated, as if you felt their pain in your own bodies."

0 comments: