Thursday, August 9, 2007

Ignorance


Brent and I traveled to Canada a few weeks ago. It really is beautiful. I am amazed at the open country and undeveloped areas. Coming from Florida, it is so nice to see land with nothing on it. One thing I didn't realize is that I would need math skills to navigate my way through this country. Everything is in meters and kilometers.

We kept joking that we got to our destination so quickly because of the 90mph speed limit. Of course we really did do the math and conviently the speedometer had km/h on it! But, isn't it nice to be ignorant? I was thinking yesterday how nice it is to tell someone, "I'm sorry, I had no idea. No one told me that was what I was supposed to do." It is so nice not having the responsibility or understanding of the right thing to do, isn't it?

The Christian walk is all about responsibility. It doesn't come all at once, but little by little. Looking back, I can see how much more I am responsible for now than when I first became a believer. We raise children that way. Just as we wouldn't ask our 2 year old to prepare a meal, it might be a reaonable chore for a 14 year old. God places new challenges on us that we are ready for, when we are ready for it. That's maturity. While ignorance might be bliss, it doesn't account for maturity. It doesn't bring growth and it isn't God's way to deal with things.

1 Corinthians 13:10-12

"But when full understanding comes, these partial things will become useless.

When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child.
But when I grew up, I put away childish things.

Now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror, but then we will see
everything with perfect clarity.

All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything
completely, just as God now knows me completely."

0 comments: