Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sunday School Ornaments



What tree is complete without a few Sunday School ornaments on it? I cannot even remember who made this one, but it is faithfully on the tree for the last few years. It is special to me because the children made it and it represents that part of each of our lives when we could simply worship Jesus by using crayolas and construction paper. What a wonderful concept to take the time to enjoy who Jesus is with the creativity and freedom that coloring can bring!

Dakota was coloring for me a coloring page that she brought home from Church this week. I have included it below. I love that Jesus has a pink face and the manger has a very fashionable blanket. Dakota worked very hard on this picture and after some time she looked at me and said, "Mom, I want to go there!" I asked her where she meant. "I want to go to Baby Jesus!" she replied. I asked her if she meant the place in the picture? "Yes, Mom. I want to go there. It is dark and the moon is outside" and she went on in her own way to describe the scene. The realist in me almost started to explain to her that we cannot actually go there, but Jesus is in our heart, etc. Then I stopped myself before I began. Why can't we go there? Why can't I let her enjoy that beautiful curiosity and belief that so many of us have put away. I have to say I was envious of Dakota in that moment. My hard heart that disbelieves so much and struggles in so many ways would soften to mush if I could just once again pick up a crayon and color Jesus, and all at the same time long to be part of the picture!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What some sweet lovely thoughts! Love MaMa Bobbi