Thursday, November 6, 2008

Costumes



I had fun making costumes this year. I actually made myself one, which I hadn't done for almost 10 years. I had found the necklace in Egypt and really wanted to make an Egyptian costume inspired by the colors from it. I made Dakota's costume and two others. I am realizing that the boys are getting older because they are now just content to put their camoflauge on and be on their way trick or treating! They no longer have high dreams for a special costume. It is a strange feeling that I do not have that opportunity to what I have always done, sew like crazy getting everyone's costumes done on time.

I have been reflecting on the realization that things change. I get so set in my ways and centered on the small problems that I am dealing with. I fail to stop and realize that I am also losing what is familiar every day as the kids get older and more independent. Watching them grow and struggle, succeed and fail, and just become who they are meant to be has been an amazing and scarry thing all at the same time. I am trying to trust God this week to appreciate and wonder in the moment today knowing that this moment will soon be gone.

James 4:13-15

" Look here, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.” How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone. What you ought to say is, “If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your costumes. I'm very proud of you and your sewing abilities and creative writing. Keep it up. Love Mom

My Army Brats and Me said...

Hey Emily
You both look awesome. I am feeling good today and just wanted to stop by and say thank you for being such a great friend!

Love ya
Cindy