Tuesday, February 6, 2007

More Tornado Pictures


Tyler and I decided to take a little trip yesterday to see if we could get through to the tornado damaged area. Thankfully the roads are now passable and we were able to see my school and the other areas that were hit hard. It is amazing to know how a tornado travels and randomly picks the areas that it will hit.


My school did not have the damage I was expecting. I believe that they are still in session. The Dunkin Doughnuts that I spent many trips to during breaks in college is absolutely ruined. It was touching to see that one of the teachers had put an American flag out in the parking lot which is covered in debris. I am proud to be a Floridian! In these times of disaster, we have so much spirit and togetherness.




Times like these can be very reflective on your own life, even if you aren't directly touched by the devastation. One passage keeps coming back to me through this. In I Kings 19 God speaks to Elijah:

"Go out and stand before me on the mountain," the Lord told him. And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake there was fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper."
I Kings 19:11-12

Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Hurricanes and other natural disasters are usually phrased as "Acts of God", yet God speaks in a gentle whisper. The one who has all power does not find joy in speaking to us with such methods. He loves to whisper to us. He gets our attention after the devastation, heartbreak, or even fear with quietly calling to us. I love that!

0 comments: