Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Box


Every day I pass this box on the side of the road. It has been there for at least two months now. It used to be in a perfect box shape, but after rains and time it now is sagged into a triangle. No one will claim this box. One morning I saw a college-age girl trying to get it into her car, but ended up leaving it there because it would not fit. It has been mowed around and walked around, yet no one will move it.
I find this funny. Somehow I am sure I am not the only one to notice or complain about its existence on the side of the road, obstructing an otherwise beautiful view. Yet, no one will actually dispose of it. I can't help but wonder if it will always remain there until it breaks down and is absorbed into the earth.
It makes me think of responsibility. Responsibility is a task that is taken without a command, or begging. Knowing that something should be done and doing it to help others is showing responsibility. God loves responsibility and has given us the Holy Spirit to encourage us to do the right thing.
Romans 12:8
"If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging. If it is giving, give generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful analogy. Love Mom O.